Hydration Reservoir Care
NOTE: The ExtremeMist reservoir is made of TPU drink safe materials. However, periodic cleaning is still required.
DO NOT use boiling water, as this may damage the reservoir.
Freezing the reservoir will not affect the material. Be sure to keep a little air space in the reservoir, as too much expansion of the ice during freezing can damage the reservoir.
Cleaning tablets are available at your local sporting goods store, or online at various sites. These are easy to use. Drop a cleaning tablet into the reservoir and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
To make your own cleaning solution you can use:
- Baking soda for odors (1.5 cups for 2L reservoir)
- Unscented household bleach for neutralizing bacteria and viruses (1 cap for 2L reservoir)
- For really strong odors, you can add ½ cup of lemon juice to the baking soda and bleach. Plus a mild dish soap.
Recommended cleaning tools
Kits are available on our website or at your local sporting goods store. You will need the following:
- Cleaning brush for the reservoir
- A small brush on a long cord to run the length of your mist and drink hoses
- A reservoir hanger that props the reservoir open to let the water completely air dry between uses.
How to clean the reservoir
Start by dropping in a tablet, or your own homemade cleaning solution into the reservoir. Shake the reservoir, fill the hoses, then set it aside and let it soak for approximately 15 minutes. Rinse out the reservoir with a small amount of dish soap to help remove any remaining solution and rinse. Now either hang, or set aside with the reservoir propped open to air dry.
Step One: Soaking
1. Fill the reservoir with warm water, add cleaning solution, close the lid, and shake it for approximately 30 seconds.
2. Raise the reservoir up over a sink and squeeze the bite valve into the sink and let gravity run some water through the drink hose. If ExtremeMist pump is installed, turn on the mist for a few moments to get the cleaning solution into the mist hose. Now you can leave it to soak for approximately 15 minutes. (If using tablets, follow the instructions for saturation times).
3. Now drain the system. Be sure to squeeze the bite valve again to drain the water from the drink tube and run the pump to evacuate water from pump and mist hoses.
* If using the ExtremeMist PCS, aim the PCS mist nozzle away from yourself and turn on the PCS for a few moments to allow solution to run through the misting hose and nozzle. Then set it aside. (Exercise caution not to spray on your clothes if using a bleach solution).
- Drain the system. Be sure to squeeze the bite valve and turn on the PCS again to drain the water from the tubes.
Step Two: Rinsing
1. Once again fill the reservoir with warm, clean water. Add a small amount of dish soap.
2. Use a scrub brush to clean the inside of the reservoir. If you have a hose brush on a long cable, run it through the whole length of the hose. Remove the bite valve and misting nozzle to make this process easier. (If you don’t have a hose brush, you can tie knots in a thick string and pull it through to accomplish the same thing).
3. Rinse everything with cool, clean water several times to remove any soap residue.
- Rinse the bite valve and drink hose by raising the reservoir up and allow water to flow through the drink hose. Rinse out the misting system by turning the PCS on again to allow fresh water to flow through the system.
Step Three: Air Drying
1. Now that you have all the pieces disassembled and rinsed, shake as much water as you can from the reservoir. Take the drink hose without the bite valve attached outside and whirl it around to let centrifugal force help to remove the excess water.
2. If you have purchased a cleaning kit, most come with a reservoir hanger that holds the reservoir open to let air to get in. If you don't have a hanging dryer kit, use any clean utensil (such as a kitchen whisk) to help spread the reservoir apart so that it can dry.
3. Hang your reservoir upside down to dry, with the opening propped open. Once dried, reinstall the reservoir into your pack. Now you're ready for your next adventure!