Hydration Reservoir Care
NOTE: The ExtremeMist reservoir is made of TPU drink safe materials. However, periodic cleaning is still required.
DO NOT use boiling water, as this may damage the reservoir.
Freezing the reservoir will not affect the material. Be sure to keep a little air space in the reservoir, as too much expansion of the ice during freezing can damage the reservoir.
Cleaning tablets are available at your local sporting goods store, or online at various sites. These are easy to use. Drop a cleaning tablet into the reservoir and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
To make your own cleaning solution you can use:
- Baking soda for odors (1.5 cups for 2L reservoir)
- Unscented household bleach for neutralizing bacteria and viruses (1 cap for 2L reservoir)
- For really strong odors, you can add ½ cup of lemon juice to the baking soda and bleach. Plus a mild dish soap.
Recommended cleaning tools
Kits are available on our website or at your local sporting goods store. You will need the following:
- Cleaning brush for the reservoir
- A small brush on a long cord to run the length of your mist and drink hoses
- A reservoir hanger that props the reservoir open to let the water completely air dry between uses.
How to clean the reservoir
Start by dropping in a tablet, or your own homemade cleaning solution into the reservoir. Shake the reservoir, fill the hoses, then set it aside and let it soak for approximately 15 minutes. Rinse out the reservoir with a small amount of dish soap to help remove any remaining solution and rinse. Now either hang, or set aside with the reservoir propped open to air dry.